Starting Monday, June 15th, the City will continue with the first phase of its water main replacement project, which will replace a total of 15 blocks, or 7,000 linear feet of Hoboken’s oldest water mains, including road repaving, and green infrastructure improvements. As of April 2020, more than 4,000 linear feet of new water main has been installed and 150 service lines replaced as part of Phase I of this project. Construction activities scheduled for the week of 6/15/20 – 6/19/20 include the following:
- Mon. 6/15/2020 – Wed. 6/17/20: Bloomfield Street between 2nd and 4th Street will be closed at times between the hours of 8 AM - 4 PM for installation of new water main and for pressure testing and sampling of the new water main.
- Tues. 6/16/2020 – Fri. 6/19/2020: Garden Street between 12th and 14th Street will be closed at times between the hours of 8 AM - 4 PM for installation of new water main.
- The construction of the water mains utilizes low interest and interest free loans from the New Jersey Infrastructure Bank and does not use funding from the 2020 municipal budget. In 2019, the City entered into a contract with SUEZ that now provides for $33 million in water main upgrades through 2034, with an average of $2.2 million invested every year. More information about the water infrastructure upgrades project is available at https://www.hobokennj.gov/resources/drinking-water-infrastructure-upgrades-phase-1
Water Infrastructure Upgrades Phase I Project Scope and Status:
The 7,000 linear feet of water main replacements include the following locations:
- Jefferson Street between 8th Street and 9th Street - approximately 450 linear feet (Complete)
- Garden Street between Observer Highway and 2nd Street - approximately 1,125 linear feet (complete)
- Garden Street between 3rd Street and 5th Street - approximately 850 linear feet (Complete)
- Jefferson Street between 10th Street and 11th Street - approximately 450 linear feet (complete)
- Bloomfield Street between 2nd Street and 4th Street - approximately 1,000 linear feet (Expected completion: Summer 2020)
- Monroe Street between 3rd Street and 4th Street - approximately 950 linear feet (Expected completion: Summer 2020)
- Monroe Street between 8th Street and 11th Street - approximately 1,400 linear feet (Expected completion: Summer 2020)
- Garden Street between 12th Street and 14th Street - approximately 810 linear feet Street
- Final Paving – All Streets (Expected completion: Summer 2020)