The Youth Advisory Council (YAC) is created and established by the government of the City of Hoboken, a Youth Advisory Commission
The commission shall be established within sixty (60) days after this chapter shall take effect
The purpose of the Youth Advisory Commission (YAC) is to establish a working relationship between the government of the City of Hoboken and the youth of Hoboken.
· Appointments shall be made at the first council meeting each September, to coincide with the new academic year:
· The Commission shall consist of twelve (12) youth and one (1) adult member:
· Three (3) youth members will be appointed by the Mayor
· One (1) adult member will be appointed by a majority vote of the Council
· A youth member must be no younger than13 years of age nor older than 19 years of age in the 6th to 12th grade and be a resident of the City of Hoboken;
· Applications for appointment shall be made available through the City Clerk or you can click here
Supervision and Oversight.
· The Commission shall be overseen by a current member of the City Council appointed by the majority of that body as well as one adult member who may not vote except to cast a tie-breaking vote
Chairperson and Vice Chairperson.
· There shall be both a Chairperson and a Vice Chairperson of the Youth Advisory Commission elected by its members;
· The Chairperson and Vice Chairperson shall serve in his or her position for one year and until his or her successor is elected.
· The Youth Advisory Commission shall meet once a month at a designated time and place.
Reports to the City Council.
· The Youth Advisory Commission shall make a report of its progress to the Mayor and Council as needed and not less than twice a year;
· The Youth Advisory Commission shall also report to the Governing Body upon the request of either the Mayor or a resolution of the City Council.