1. Fill out a tree permit application and submit it to the Urban Forestry Coordinator
2. The Urban Forestry Coordinator will forward the permit to the Shade Tree Commission (STC) for review
3. The STC will inspect the tree and site (a site visit with the property owner’s contractor may be required)
4. The STC will meet to determine if the application is approved
5. The STC will forward the tree application to the Urban Forestry Coordinator with their notes and approval/decline
6. If approved by the STC, the Urban Forestry Coordinator will sign the application and issue the permit
As per the “Tree Experts and Tree Care Operators Licensing Act,” tree work cannot be performed without the proper license or certification. One of the following is required to perform tree work: LTE (Licensed Tree Expert) or LTCO (Licensed Tree Care Operator). For a list of licensed vendors, please visit NJ Tree Experts.